Faculty Retreat to Strengthen and Elevate CTE Pathways
January 3rd, 2018
The Inland Empire Desert Region Consortium’s Key Talent, hosted a Career and Technical Education (CTE) Faculty Retreat December 7, 8 and 9, 2017. Eighty-five (85) CTE faculty attended the faculty retreat event called “Strengthening and Elevating Career Pathways” held at Humphrey’s Half Moon Inn in San Diego representing various high school and community college districts in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.
Attendees heard from two dynamic keynote speakers and participated in a variety of interactive activities and discussions designed to help them improve relationships, manage conflict, achieve their goals and use social media to strengthen relationships and partnerships. All attendees completed the TKI assessment which helps people see their preferences around conflict, how those preferences may have been helpful to them and also how they may have limited folks' effectiveness in navigating conflict successfully.
The guest speakers were:
- Paul Cello is a seasoned organization development consultant. He looks for opportunities to promote innovation and change through increasing the capacity for critical thinking, creativity, and collaborative capability among individuals and teams.
- Jake Kelfer is the bestselling author of Elevate Beyond, a high energy inspirational speaker, personal elevation coach and the founder of the Professional Basketball Combine. Jake’s goal is to share stories, interviews, advice and experiences to help you maximize your potential, achieve success, and have fun doing it. Each attendee was provided a free copy of Jake’s book and had the opportunity to interact with him and have their book signed.
Each of the Deputy Sector Navigators (DSNs) invited community college and high school faculty from their sectors to attend the event. The key talent group includes:
- Susanne Mata, DSN - Information, Communication Technologies / Digital Media, hosted at San Bernardino Community College District
- Julie Pehkonen, Regional Consortia Chair, Inland Empire Desert Region Consortia
- Lisa Kiplinger-Kennedy, DSN – Small Business, hosted at Victor Valley College
- Alan Braggins, DSN – Advanced Manufacturing, hosted at Chaffey College
- Avante Simmons, DSN Healthcare, hosted at College of the Desert
- Larry McLaughlin, DSN Advanced Transportation, hosted at College of the Desert
- Robert Corona, DSN Global Trade and Logistics, hosted at Riverside Community College
- Jon Caffery, Project Director – Prop 39, hosted by College of the Desert
- Lori Benson, Project Director – Strong Workforce Regional Advisory Communities Project
- Ashley Etchison, Project Director – Strong Workforce Regional Marketing Project
- Michael Goss, Project Director – Centers of Excellence